Welcome to the web site for the Building Materials and Architectural Structures Research Unit in School of Architecture at the University of Sheffield, we are part of the People, Environments and Performance Research Group. Our work focuses on the research and development in the use of the innovative construction materials (timber, bamboo and smart materials, etc.) and architectural structures to deliver a low carbon built environment. This team is led by Dr. Wen-Shao Chang and was moved to the University of Sheffield from the University of Bath after Wen-Shao took up a new appointment on September 2017 in Sheffield.
- 23/09/2019. Mr. Etienne Gauthier Turcotte joined us as a visiting student from the University of Quebec at Chicoutimi for three months.
- 01/09/2019. Miss Esti Nurdiah has joined us to pursue her PhD on the project “Bamboo gridshell design”.
- 01/09/2019. Miss Yan Gao has joined us to pursue her PhD on the project “Dynamic response of irregular timber floors”.
- 03/05/2019. Our article “Screw reinforcement on dowel-type moment-resisting connection with cracks ” has now been published in Construction and Building Materials now. It can be downloaded for free [here] until 22/6/2019.
- 03/05/2019. Our article “Bending Properties of Finger-jointed Malaysian Dark Red Meranti” has been accepted for publication in International Wood Products Journal.
- 23/04/2019. Our article “Strain distribution of dowel-type connections reinforced with self-tapping screw s” has been accepted by Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering — ASCE.
- 04/04/2019. The article “Static Behaviour of Two-Tiered Dou-Gong System Reinforced by Super-Elastic Alloy ” has now been accepted by the Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers — Engineering History and Heritage and online now. It can be downloaded [here].
- 03/04/2019. The article “Drive-in torque for self-tapping screws into timber” has now been accepted by the Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers — Construction Materials and is online now. It can be downloaded [here].
- 01/04/2019. Miss Yi Yang has joined us to pursue her PhD on the project “Effect of stiffness discontinuity of structural members in tall timber buildings”.
- 14/03/2019. Our group member in Bath, Miss Wenjun Xie, has passed her PhD viva. Huge congratulations!
- 19/11/2018. Our group member in Bath, Cong Zhang, has passed his PhD viva. Huge congratulations!
- 31/10/2018. The article “Using self-tapping screw to reinforce dowel-type connection in a timber portal frame ” is now published online. It can be downloaded for free until 20 December 2018. Click [here] to download.
All the dated activities can be find below